Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL)
PCNL is a keyhole surgery for removal of kidney stones in which instruments with small diameter are used for smaller kidney punctures. Laser, pneumatic and ultrasound devices are used in the process to fragment stone and there is very less bleeding in the process.
With High Power Holmium laser machine, even hard and large stones are fragmented quickly with less bleeding so patient dose not requires blood transfusion.
Operative time & hospitalization:
Most probably operative time is 40 to 80 minutes. Patient needs 48 hrs. of hospitalization & 1 or 2 days more rest then patient can resume his duty.
Usually by procedure 99% of big renal stone can be treated successfully. We have successfully performed more than 3000 PCNL includes single, multiple, bilateral, staghorn& complicated renal stones.
To whom this procedure is required:
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) is the preferred technique for treating large stones (over 2cm in diameter) within the kidneyAdvantages
- The PCNL treatment is highly advantageous as it has a history of resulting into complete clearance in over 95% cases in single session.
- As above mentioned less hospitalization
- With Holmium Laser, even large and hard stone is fragmented quickly.
- Higher precision and less bleeding
Patient will be required to take it easy during the recovery phase for several weeks. There should only be minimal discomfort from the wound. Oral antibiotics will be given for a further five days to prevent infection. It is important to inform us if you feel unwell with fevers, chills, or develop heavy bleeding in the urine. Your initial follow-up will be in 6 days after discharge. Occasionally, a urinary stent is left to ensure the urine drains correctly into the bladder. This will require removal at a later time.
Open method for removal of large bladder stone.